Scurry County, Texas
Cities, Towns and Communities
Camp Spring | Dermott | Dunn | Fluvanna | Hermleigh | Inadale | Ira | Snyder - county seat
|Scurry County Courthouse, Snyder, Texas early 1900s|
Scurry County is at the base of the Llano Estacado in West Texas, bordered on the east by Fisher County, on the south by Mitchell County, on the west by Borden County, and on the north by Garza and Kent counties. The center of the county lies ninety miles northwest of Abilene. Snyder, the county seat, is just south of the center of the county and sixty-three air miles northwest of Abilene. The area was named for William R. Scurry, a Confederate general.
In 1877 William H. Snyder opened a trading post to sell supplies to buffalo hunters in the area, and soon a small settlement of dugouts and tents grew around Snyder's place. The first large ranch in the area was established in 1877 by Tom and Jim Nunn, who drove longhorns from South Texas to land along tributaries of the Clear Fork of the Brazos River. Ranching soon became the major industry in the area.
Scurry County was established by the Texas legislature in 1876 from lands formerly assigned to Bexar County; in 1880 there were 102 residents, including eight blacks, living in the area. The county was attached to Mitchell County for judicial purposes until 1884, when it was organized. Snyder, the growing trading post, became a townsite in 1882 and the county seat in 1884. A. C. Wilmeth began publishing the county's first newspaper, the Scurry County Citizen, in the 1880s.
In 1908 the Roscoe, Snyder and Pacific Railway was built into the county seat, and in 1911 the Santa Fe Railroad extended its tracks into the county. By 1910 there were 1,424 farms and ranches in Scurry County, and the area's population had grown to 10,924.The discovery of oil in 1923 also helped to stimulate the economy during this period, though production was relatively modest. By 1930 the county's population had grown to reach 12,188. This growth was reversed during the Great Depression of the 1930s, which seriously hurt the local economy. Almost 198,000 acres of cropland had been harvested in 1929; fewer than 143,000 acres were harvested in 1940. By that same year the number of farms had declined to 1,446, and the population had dropped to 11,545.
Oil and gas processing and other manufacturing is centered in Snyder (population, 11,839), the county seat; the town is also the site of Western Texas College, founded in 1971. Other communities include Camp Spring, Dermott, Dunn (75), Fluvanna (180), Hermleigh (360), Inadale, and Ira (250). Recreation and cultural attractions include Lake J. B. Thomas, Sandstone Canyon Indian pictographs, and Towle Memorial Park. Snyder hosts the County Fair each September and White Buffalo Day in October. Source: The Handbook of Texas Online
Scurry County. This county, lying directly north of Mitchell County, was created in 1876, and was organized June 28, 1884. Until recent years it was, without railroad facilities, and the nearest shipping points were Colorado City on the south and still later the railroad towns in Fisher County on the east. The first railroad was the Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific, built from Roscoe on the Texas & Pacific in Nolan County to Snyder, the county seat of Scurry County. In 1911 the Texico-Coleman division of the Santa Fe system was built through the county, giving it a trunk line of railway. Development has been particularly rapid during the last ten years. Continue Reading Scurry County History Written in 1922 >>
Saga of Scurry (San Antonio: Naylor, by Kathryn Cotten, 1957
Historical Markers in Scurry County by the Scurry County Historical Committee, 1969
From Buffalo...to Oil: History of Scurry County, Texas, by Hooper Shelton, 1973
Deep Creek Merchant: The Story of William Henry "Pete" Snyder by Charles G. Anderson, 1984